Me & the kids headed to the beach with some friends this week! It was so much fun, and its safe to say I now have TWO kids that LOVE the beach just as much as their mommy :)
We ALMOST didn't make it to the beach though---Monday morning I was finishing up the last swimsuit coverup at about 8:30 {we were leaving at 9}. I was talking on the phone and I thought it was about to start sewing on needle #1, BUT it started on needle #5 right down on my finger!! I SEWED MY FINGER!!! Amazingly, it didn't hurt??!! I guess I was just in shock, and the first thought was, "I'm going to miss my trip :("...I looked down and my finger was bleeding, and I saw the needle was broke and the tip was missing. Once I got the blood cleaned off of my finger, I noticed that the thread was sticking out of the top of my finger where the needle went in. Well, I knew then that the broken needle was somewhere in my finger! I was on the phone with my friend, and I said "meet me at the ER in 10 min and get the kids"! So 15 min later I'm sitting in the ER triage (thank goodness I was the ONLY patient there since the Dr. had already ordered my antibioitics, XRAY, and tetanus shot before I even left triage!)...
Sure enough the needle was stuck right next to the bone in the tip of my finger. All I could think of was THIS--a fellow "embroiderer" who this happened to and had to have surgery! And my friend Emilia did it, too and although she didn't have surgery, she said it HURT. BAD. The Radiologist said I needed to have surgery, and the General Surgeon in the building refused to even try and get it out, BUT luckily I had a GREAT ER dr. that was determined to get it out without surgery so I could make it to the beach {and partly because in his words, he didn't want to "tick off the hand surgeon with this one"}. So after numbing my finger, cutting the side of it about 3/4" DOWN TO THE BONE {where the needle was}, and digging for about 45 min under the Fluoroscopy it came out thread still attached! I made the mistake of looking over once and almost threw up and passed out, but besides that it didn't hurt one bit...until the lidocaine wore off a few hours later. It hurt BAD for 2 days but is now feeling much better! I'll save you all the gross pictures I was texting Ryan (ha!) but here is one when I first got to the ER
You can see the thread sticking out, and the scratch where I ripped my hand back after the needle went in the the broken part scratched my finger (which is where the blood came from)
Coffee, Cats, and Deadlines: A Day in My Life
2 months ago
























0 comments:
Post a Comment