Wednesday, March 7, 2012

on a soapbox (just for a minute)



Bennett is 19 months old, is well over 20 pounds, and over 30" in length and YES she is still rear facing in her car seat.  The AAP updated their recommendations last year and most pediatricians recommend extended rear facing.  And the law is one year AND 20 pounds.  I have seen more than one infant (as in 6/7 months old) in pictures on facebook in a forward facing car seat that they are in no way safe for them!  I wish everyone would read this article, as well as doing their own research.
Now to play devils advocate, Bennett has never been forward facing so she doesn't know any better, and she happily rides facing backwards.  Though even if she screamed her head off, I would like to think I would still leave her rear facing since the article points out she is 75% (yes, 75%) more likely to not be seriously injured or killed in a collision by riding rear facing. 
 Extended rear facing isn't for everyone, but ALL infants under the age of 1 AND under 20 pounds should definitely stay rear facing for as long as possible!

0 comments: